Swim Strong Foundation provides the following educational materials to help educate and inform our community, our students and their families. Please feel free to download our infographics and our presentation, and please take a look at the trailer for a documentary below. If you need our full swimming safety presentation, or if you are interested in any further materials, please contact email@example.com.
Did You Know?
- Drowning is the 2nd largest cause of death for children 14 and under in the US?
- African American children drown 3x more than any other demographic?
- Drowning is the leading cause of death for children 5 years old and younger?
- Drowning is the 2nd largest cause of death GLOBALLY for people of all ages?
General Safety Tips
- ALWAYS swim near a lifeguard.
- NEVER swim alone.
- Supervise children closely.
- Don’t rely on flotation devices.
- Alcohol, drugs, and swimming DO NOT MIX.
- Don’t swim after dark.
- Know your limits.
- Stop swimming and go to shelter when a storm is approaching.
- Use sun screen to avoid burns.
- Stay hydrated to avoid heatstroke.
Swim Strong Presentation
"A Film Called Blacks Can’t Swim" - Trailer
The below trailer is for a mini documentary by black British hip hop artist Ed Acura called “A Film Called Blacks Can’t Swim”. It showcases the stereotypical reasons communities of color don’t embrace swimming with the goal to shift those perspectives and encouraging people to take swimming lessons.